About the DMG
First there was the BMG
The BMG was established in 1996, based on an agreement at the MOTNEG/2. The reason was, that the MOTNEG identified the need for a working group, taking care of the management of the OPMET-data exchange within the ICAO/EUR region. The group should take care of existing requirements and respond in a controlled way to changes of those. The first ToRs where the following:
- to examine the existing EUR requirements and any new requirements and to assess the feasibility of satisfying these requirements, taking into account the availability of the data;
- if necessary, to re-organise bulletins through the change of existing bulletins or addition of new bulletins, based on the validated requirements;
- to route all bulletins to SADIS and to the existing MOTNE Centres;
- the States should be informed 1 month in advance about changes in the programme by notification from the ICAO Office in Paris;
- the group should report its activities to the MOTNEG
The initial members of the BMG where MOTNEG members from
- United Kingdom
From the MOTNEG to METG
For 5 years the BMG acted as a working group of the MOTNEG. In 2001 the decision was taken to dissolve the parent group. This was brought to the attention of EANPG/43 with the suggestion, that the BMG should be continued as a sub-group of the METG, which was approved.
Within the years 2007-2010 the MOTNE structure was reviewed by the BMG. At that point of time 11 MOTNE-centres existed. Within short time it was clear that, with todays technology, it would be enough to have 3 centres within the EUR-region. The BMG decided that those three centres are:
The data exchange system was renamed from MOTNE into EUR-RODEX. With its new structure the possibility was identified to implement a backup procedures to overcome an outage of one of the ROCs. This procedures is planned to be in place by the end of 2017.
That was also the moment, when BMG was renamed (after 38 meetings) into the DMG. Also the composition and the number of members changed (from 13 to 8). Of course all does changes were accepted and agreed upon by the METG at the METG/20 (06.-10.09.2010). The first meeting of that renewed group took place in October 2010. Current members and their roles can be found under DMG-Members.
The Terms of Reference as well as the Work Program, defined and agreed by METG can be found on the respective page on this website.